July 28th - The Annual Cross Mersey Swim

I had heard how tough the annual Cross Mersey swim was because of the current. It's only a 1.25 mile course but is very unpredictable because if swimmers choose the wrong line of passage then they can be swept further up river and completely miss the finish slipway, Monks Ferry at Birkenhead. We were only allowed to cross at a certain time, 10:45am as that was the safest period.

What a fun morning!! All 34 of us were kitted out in just our speedos, cap and goggles as we were shipped across on rubber dingies from Monks Ferry to the official start at the Beatles Museum, Albert Dock. The wind started to pick up and I made sure I was at the front of the boat to get maximum lift when we hit the waves. AWESOME! Felt like a teenager at Sun City's Waterworld all aver again, except this time without the life jackets.

The water was a bit choppy but all went quite well. I came 7th that day. And then a fellow swimmer had to remind me straight after the race that the Channel is 20 times longer. Ta



me waving



sound of the hooter- and we're off!