The Heart of My Training and Support

During my training I have been fortunate enough to have met some of the most amazing people who have given me great hints and tips on improving my open water experience. Enrique Flores from Mexico has done more research on the channel than anyone else I know. He has just completed his channel swim recently in a time of 13 hours and 20 minutes. Enrique has given me such tips as my boat crew feeding me with wet biscuits before I swallow to ease digestion so that my blood remains in my muscles; change my feeding time from every 30 minutes to every 45 minutes and the best tidal cycles with which to launch to name just a few.

My friend and comrade, Gavin Floyd (successful relay channel crossing 2006) describes quite vividly how after hours of swimming in the channel what it feels like to all of a sudden hit the French coast and feel the soil just beneath the surface of the water (even though he landed in pitch darkness).



Enrique and me

Nicholas Robbinson (Robbo) who is able to complete an open water mile in 17 minutes has been with me at all my dock and lake swims in West Kirby and will be doing two lengths of Britain’s largest lake, Lake Windemere in the coming months.


Robbo peering out amongst the sea weed

Pete Harper (successful relay channel crossing 2006) has also been by my side and guided me through the good times and the bad. I describe him as nothing less than completely fearless.


The Fearless Pete Harper