June 16th - Champion of Champions - Dover Harbour

16th June was my first true test. The Champion of Champions event is held annually at Swimmers Beach and organised by the BLDSA (British Long Distance Swimming Association) in Dover Harbour. Its a 9 mile (14km) course in 10˚C. There were 3 parts to it. 5 miles then rest a half hour. 3 miles then rest another half hour then a mile flat out.

It was tough as there was no nutrition during the swim. After 4 miles on the first leg I fell straight into a head wind and started to rapidly drift off course whilst treading water for only a few seconds. A canoeist caught up with me and said to swim flat out straight into the wind and waves regardless if I move forward or not. I did so. After 10 minutes of giving it my all I had only covered about 50 metres. Luckily though it was only temporary. But I remember thinking only of chocolate. On dry land I had a stash of supplies ranging from Twix, Boost, Double Decker and Mars bars to bananas and sandwiches. The craving was unbearable. I compared it to playing Mario Brothers, your life line depleting with every hit from the enemy. I had nothing left in me. 3 and half hours with no food and drink at that temperature put me in a bit of a state. I was fortunate enough to have the waves help me land on the shore. When I got to the swimmers shelter I didn’t even head for the lucozade. The Double Decker was the first to go, then the Mars, then some biscuits, coffee and finally the Lucozade. Within about 60 seconds I started to feel much better, Mario had now been given some gold coins and an extra life line.

I completed the 9 mile course in 5 hours and 30 minutes with my final mile in a personal best of 25 minutes. That’s just under half the length of the Channel (21 miles as the crow flies). I remember a fantastic swimmer called Olivia who pushed me on my final mile. Olivia Brown I wish you luck on your Channel Crossing next year!!



Swimmers Beach - Dover