7th July - Official Qualifier

Channel Swimming Association rules stipulate that a successful 6 hour cold water swim has to be completed to gain recognition to swim the channel. I chose Dover harbour once again for the location. Every Saturday and Sunday Freda Streeter (mother of Allison Streeter – Queen of the Channel) holds a 7 hour training session in the harbour. 7th July was going to be the day that I was going to formally complete my qualifier and swim further and remain longer in cold water than I’ve ever done before.

The temperature was between 10 and 14˚C but I knew I was going to qualify. There was about 30 of us. Channel swimmers were given the distinctive pink caps whilst non channel swimmers were given yellow caps.

Strangely I wasn’t nervous. I greased up my groins and arm pits with vaseline to prevent chaffing, fixed my goggles so they were firmly in my eye sockets and then at 9am took the plunge with the rest of the group. I completed 10 miles in 6 hours which puts me on course to complete the channel in around 13 to 14 hours. But I am still hoping for the crossing to be 18 hours or less as so many other factors come into play after 7 hours out at sea.



channel swimming hopefulls preparing for a long training session



swimmers beach with dover castle (top left)